- There have been no new damage issues for the Black Stars.
- Kudus Mohammed and Thomas Partey ought to begin for Ghana after sitting out the pleasant towards Switzerland.
- Cristiano Ronaldo is match for Portugal and may lead the road for the Europeans.
- Nuno Mendes will likely be assessed earlier than the sport.
The final time the 2 groups met, the circumstances had been way more totally different, a lot darker even.
The Black Stars had simply turn into probably the most notorious soccer group on the earth (on the time), having had about $4 million flown to them in Brazil a number of hours earlier.
Pictures of among the gamers kissing the cash had been plastered throughout social media. It was very embarrassing to be a Black Stars fan again then.
Fast ahead eight years and issues aren’t too totally different however they are barely higher.
Ghanaians are nonetheless warming up to the nationwide group however a number of good performances and a typically, extra constructive vibe have actually improved many followers’ disposition towards the group.
Otto Addo’s facet may not be probably the most flamboyant however they’re positively environment friendly; the victory on combination towards Nigeria is an excellent instance of that.
In reality, the one two video games the Black Stars have misplaced in 9 below Addo had been in pleasant matches towards Japan and Brazil, video games which finally served a much bigger function in serving to the coach get a greater concept of the gamers at his disposal.
In their 4 aggressive video games, the Black Stars are unbeaten below Otto Addo (3 attracts and 1 win). They may not at all times win however they do their greatest not to lose.
Against a start-studded Portugal right this moment, not dropping would possibly simply be sufficient for lots of people.
Otto Addo has been fast to dismiss any concept that the Black Stars could be pleased with a draw towards Portugal, insisting that his group will purpose for all three factors.
A win for Ghana shouldn’t be dismissed out of hand as, regardless of the extent of high quality of their facet, Portugal aren’t probably the most steady group in the meanwhile.
Round of 16 exits of their final two main tournaments and a UEFA Nations League exit to Spain have put head coach, Fernando Santos below some stress.
Recent developments round their captain, Cristiano Ronaldo have additionally put extra give attention to a group that till lately, crumbled on the slightest signal of stress.
Santos has rejected options that this elevated scrutiny would possibly have an effect on his facet’s focus.
There is lots at stake for each groups – for Ghana, an opportunity to present appreciation for the renewed help from followers and banish the demons of 2014.
For Portugal, it is a chance to silence doubters and make a case as one of many favourites to win all of it.
WHAT THEY SAID
Black Stars head coach, Otto Addo
“Surely we want to survive the group stage. We want to go game by game so our full focus is on the Portuguese game. If we don’t look too far and we concentrate on the next game, I think we can do something.”
“From there, nobody knows, it depends on who you get and also how you play. It’s very difficult to predict so our main focus is to win against Portugal, which will be very difficult. After that, we’ll look at the next step.”
Black Stars captain, Andre Ayew
“We all know that Portugal are the favourites on paper. But after, now we have to present that what’s on paper is just not what’s going to occur on the pitch. So we’re prepared.
“We know we are playing a big side who were European Champions some years back, and who have top players. But we believe in ourselves and we know what is ahead of us. We are going to do everything to make it difficult for them”
Portugal head coach, Fernando Santos
“We are prepared for opponents that will cause us a lot of problems. Ghana are a very well-organised team. Their game against Switzerland showed that.”
“African teams have a lot of talent, unpredictability, and are always improving tactically. Today they are much more complete teams.”
Portugal midfielder, Bruno Fernandes
“Ghana can cause us a lot of problems because they are a fast team, with a lot of physical strength. We know they always put on great performances.”
“It will be a very difficult game, it’s the opener, which everyone wants to win. What Cristiano has said has no impact, our focus is on the national team and doing our best in tomorrow’s game.”
- Having certified for three-straight World Cups between 2006 and 2014, Ghana will likely be enjoying at their fourth World Cup in Qatar after lacking out on the 2018 match in Russia.
- Ghana have performed 9 matches below Otto Addo, profitable 4, dropping two and drawing three
- The Black Stars have misplaced two of their earlier three opening matches on the World Cup
- The Stars have gained 4 matches in whole on the World Cup, Nigeria (6) is the one African nation with extra victories
- Ghana have discovered the online in every of their final 5 Fifa World Cup video games and will turn into the third African facet to rating in six in succession within the competitors, after South Africa (6 between 1998 and 2010) and Nigeria (8 between 1994 and 1998)
- Since the beginning of detailed Opta World Cup knowledge, Ghana have averaged probably the most shots-per-game within the Fifa World Cup amongst all groups competing in 2022 (19)
- Should he play, Ghana captain André Ayew could have appeared in additional matches within the competitors than any present participant for African nations (8, at the moment 7).
- Portugal are winless of their final three opening video games of a Fifa World Cup match (D2 L1)
- Portugal have gained solely three of their final 14 World Cup matches (D6 L5), every of them coming within the group stage of the competitors
- Cristiano Ronaldo has scored every of his seven Fifa World Cup targets within the group stage
- Ronaldo is one among solely 5 gamers to rating in 4 totally different Fifa World Cup tournaments, alongside Pelé, Uwe Seeler, Miroslav Klose and Lionel Messi. No participant has scored at 5 totally different match.
Head to head
- Ghana and Portugal have confronted one another as soon as on the senior degree
- Portugal beat Ghana 2-1 of their remaining group sport on the 2014 World Cup
Kick-Off: 16:00 GMT (4pm Ghana) (18:00 CAT)
Venue: 974 Stadium
Referee: Ismail Elfath (USA)
Coverage: Analysis on Citi TV from 14:00 GMT (2pm Ghana)